Last Sunday I turned 26. It’s weird how sensitive I am to the day of my birth and this one was probably one of the toughest yet most eye-opening – I was celebrating it alone.
Anton was away for work and I woke up alone on my birthday. No gifts, no flowers, just me. And you know what? It was amazing. What I realised and reflected on was so wonderful, I wanted to share it with you.
Happiness is an inner state of mind that comes ONLY from within
It took me a while to get there, to not blame anyone for not being happy and not to wait for something to happen so I become happy. Happiness is a conscious choice.
We create our own special occasions, celebrations and special moments
If you just lay in your bed and do nothing, nothing will happen. Get up and do things, plan a trip, ask your friend out for a movie, read a book, do something – nothing happens on its own.
Do more of what scares you (in a good way) – like a marathon, building a house, crazy work project. I learnt that these scary things, after being done or completed make me so happy and I feel like I have grown, accomplished, won it.
Life then is pretty much a kaleidoscope of these highlights – events, accomplishments, pleasant memories. As you look back, what’s your highlight of last year?
Here are my highlights of the year of being 25:
- we celebrated my birthday in Phuket – the weirdest trip ever.. lesson learnt – check the weather and seasons before booking the flights
- became a certified PADI diver
- moved to a very nice place where I’m happy (here’s how to rent in KL, just in case)
- started running and am now training for the marathon (I’ll write more about it soon)
- went to Cambodia, Thailand, Ukraine, Bali, Pulau Weh (Indonesia), Tioman, Cameron Highlands, Penang (Malaysia)
- had a very good health-check year, fixing some chronic things – getting at peace with health, good eating and understanding more how my body works
- got a car, broke a car, fixing a car as we speak
- had a very juicy year at work
- started DIY foods with Anton
- revamped this bebeh and started a very exciting project “Girls living in..“
- became at peace with the fact that the time is running, there’s only this much you can do every day, but every day counts.
- read only 12 books, watched countless movies, series, online learning materials
- learnt to feel the time, plan realistically and not rush
Thanks for being with me this year, supporting and encouraging to do more, become more and daring to dream big!
Lots of love,